Saturday, April 11, 2009

Food & Easter in Hong Kong (Part 1)

I sure am making good use of my self-indulged break by catching up on blog posts.

Okay, here's a catalogue of my fun fun FUN trip back to HK during Easter! I managed to squeeze all my classes into the penultimate week before the holidays officially began so I won myself an additional week of holiday!

Not bad huh? I was really lucky.

Anyway, on my first night back to HK, I felt like sushi (as I always do) and so Noel and I popped over into the sushi bar just opposite our apartment and had....

A truck load of sushi. Notice the mountain of rice balls - we never eat the rice.

And were damn happy about it too!

And after sushi, we went to Hui Lau Shan for some 'healthy' dessert. I say 'healthy' only because the shop purports to serve healthy desserts by using only fresh fruit. And while this is true, we all know that desserts are never healthy... Hahah! Oh who cares. I was on holiday!

We shared this decadent delight of mango ice cream + mango bits + crystal jelly in mango juice.

After dessert, I still had a craving for egg tart and so we walked just a wee bit down the street and I got myself one.

It wasn't good, but it satisfied the craving!

The next day, I wanted dim sum and so we went for dim sum (muahahah!) This is where I retire from yabbering and let the pictures do the talking.

Sesame balls with bean paste filling.

Innards shot!

Lotus bean paste bun + Char Siew bau!

Noel digging into the yummy char siew bao!

HK style Chee Cheong Fun with Shrimp

Glutinous rice dumpling which wasn't good AT ALL.

Pretty shot but too bad it sucked majorly.

Satisfied dim-sum-ers!

Noel later took me to the Inter-Continental Hotel's The Living Lounge for some tea/dinner. He's been raving about how beautiful it is and indeed it was. The entire lounge faced the HK harbour and the scenery was magnificent.


I ordered a spot of tea that came with a funny looking pistachio biscuit.

Tea set.

I was thoroughly amused with how distinctly different the front and back of the biscuit looked.

Front.

Back.

And along came dinner...

I ordered a grilled salmon with herb butter sauce.

Noel got himself a sirloin steak with herb butter sauce.

Seeing as how I was present, fries were a must.

On days when Noel was at work and I had the day to myself, I spent most of it studying/researching for my coursework.

Cal is a good girl. (NOT - didn't get much work done in the end. :S)

In the shot above, I was at Mix - a salad/sandwich bar just below Noel's workplace. It's one of our favourite spots to meet up for a quick lunch when he has the time to lunch out.


On 2 occassions, I visited Starbucks. I know the coffee there is overpriced and no longer as good as it used to be, but I love Starbucks. It brings back fond memories.

Not to mention, I had a really GOOD cuppa hot mocha one time.

Sinful but GOOD.

On other occassions, I cook. I love cooking (as most of you must have already surmised) but I love cooking for Noel even more. And so every time I go back to HK, I make sure I cook.

Here're are some shots of my dishes:-

My version of spicy ma-po tofu.

Teriyaki cod fillets - I made the teriyaki sauce. :)

Long beans cooked in oyster sauce with dried scallop shavings. One of the 2 veggies that Noel willingly consumes. The other being spinach.

Mushroom prawn (egg whites only) omelette. Noel loves this.

Sadly, whenever I go back to HK, my bodily systems foul up on me and not only do I get severe indigestion, I bloat and bloat and bloat. I think it's cause I'm not used to the oil or the preservatives used. Back in UK, I have a purely organic food diet with no salt, oil or sugar added to my food.

Add to that, I was suffering from PMS and every night, I had a craving for this:

Double-skinned milk curd + Red bean

I'm not a fan of milk, but I am a fan of this milk dessert! Hahahha! How ironical yeah?

Okay folks, that's it for now. Part 2 later on!

No comments: