Sunday, April 12, 2009

Food & Easter in Hong Kong (Part 2)

Part 2!

Am working on my 2nd coursework (which I find a much easier task to handle) and just had dinner. Thought I'd put up more pictures of my trip back to HK.

Anyway, an interesting occurence that happened while I was in HK was that I was spotted and asked to sign on with a modelling agency, which I did.

What really vexes/confuses me is how in Asia, I'm deemed reasonably pretty but much too large in size, whereas in UK, the converse occurs - I'm tiny and ugly (I've been told by 10 men at a go once, so I'm very positive of this).

*sigh*

Yes, am working on losing weight.....

Moving on...

It was a Friday when I signed on with the agency and Noel and I kinda have a tradition of trying a new restaurant every Friday night - part and parcel of an unspoken promise to have a 'date' weekly. Usually, I select the restaurant as Noel's busy at work.

This time, I thought to try yakitori at Maguro, which was situated along Staunton Street, Central, HK.

The food was delicious though one must be prepared to pay as serving sizes are small and pricey. Still, it's worth a visit.

Yakitori mushrooms + Mackrel

The mackrel was deliciously fresh. The meat was juicy and sweet while the skin was grilled to crispy perfection. It was really good. (Then again, I am biased towards fish, just so you know)

Grilled cod + Beef

Cod is a must have since it's Noel's favourite. While the cod was good, I thought the beef was tastier.

Zoom in on the Beef. YUM.

It was tender, juicy and aromatic - filled with sweet spiciness from the teriyaki dressing. It literally melted in my mouth.

DELICIOUS.

More fish. This time, the specialty for the day - Salmon cooked in white miso. We had to wait abpprox. 15-20mins for this though it was well worth the wait! Highly recommended.

Tofu with bonito shavings.

This was a surprisingly flavourful dish. Ranks 2nd favourite dish on the list just before...


Tuna collar bone.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE EVENING.

O.M.G.

This was a piece of juiciness robbed from the kitchen of heaven. We didn't know of the existence of this dish initially, until I saw the waiter serve a massive piece of fish to our neighbours and was so intrigued, I asked what it was and was answered with unanimous songs of praise.

In fact, our neighbours were so kind that they ordered a serving for us! And when we were informed that we were going to be served a smaller portion, they had an uproar. But seeing as how full Noel and I were by then, we didn't mind that much.

So the piece you see above is 1/4 the actual slab I saw my neighbours enjoy.

Nevertheless, it was GOOD. The flesh at the collar of any fish is the sweetest and this was no exception. In fact, it exceeded expectations by a mile. The meat was juicy and sweet, the skin was crispy and the accompanying dip made with mirin, sweet soy sauce and a dash of rice vinegar sealed the deal.

Noel and I devoured this baby in no time!

I was still sucking on the bone and licking my fingers long after we stripped the bone of every morsel of meat.

I was a happy camper. I ruled the yakitori. YES!


On Saturday, I was craving some mexican and so we visited El Taco Loco - also situated on Staunton Street.

Honestly, Staunton Street is the place to go for good food. Any restaurant you dine in will please your tastebuds.

Back to El Taco Loco.

Noel and I had just finished an amazing work out in the gym and were looking forward to a good meal.

Let's just say we were more than satisfied with our food.

Jalepenos + Salsa + Mojo - didn't use any of this. It was just to showcase what they offered on the side.

Forgot what this was called, but there were 4 of them in a basket. The wrap sandwiched creamy melted cheese and chicken breast cooked in pesto. Yummy!

A side order of chilli fries.

Hahhaha! I never knew how much Noel loved his chilli until we had this! He was scooping up the chilli all by itself! Apparently, he says it reminds him of his stay in the US and how much he loved it then and still loves it now.

El Taco Loco gets a thumbs up from us - point deduction for the poor service. What's amusing though is how you're eating off disposable dishware and plastic baskets. Intereting dining experience. Large groups not recommended as restaurant is narrow and cramped. Max. no. of persons = 6. (ideally, 4 - to be comfortably seated)

Whenever I'm back, Noel knows that I'm starved for shopping and relaxation so we usually make a trip down to Shenzhen for some good ol' spa and shopping time. Unfortunately, food there is limited so we usually have our meal at Fairwood - a fast food chain serving cheap local HK/Chinese food.

This is what we had.

My curry chicken cutlet.

Boring and bland. The curry gave me a tummy upset (a minor one though as I didn't taste more than a sip of it. Thank goodness too!)

Noel's baked rice + spaghetti combi. Much better.


Okay, this is all folks! Part 3 deals with my shopping spree with Bel and Elaine! Stay tuned!

No comments: