Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Chocolate Victoria Sponge

I love sponge cakes and I love baking them more!

It was Cat Ballie's birthday last night and I wanted to bake her a cake. She's a fan of the classic victoria sponge and chocolate.

So I got around to combining the best of both worlds and came up with this!

I am really quite pleased with the turn out as it has been YEARS since I last baked a cake (cookies are much easier because they're just dough... Cake requires a little more precision) and it was my first attempt at the victoria sponge.

I halved the sponge and gave the lower layer a delicious and generous spread of whipped cream topped with chunks of dark chocolate bits and finished it off with some chocolate fudge sauce... Popped on the top half and dusted it with icing sugar before lining the cake with small cream flowers and M&M's.

Sadly, when I entered Weatherspoons, the cream flowers melted due to the heat! =( But it still looked somewhat decent though I was mildy embarrassed.

Cat looked A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. She was in a cream/black laced backless dress which complemented her hair and skin perfectly. Plus the smoky eye make up - how did you do that girl? It was lovely.

Anyway, I do hope you liked the cake! I know I enjoyed baking it for you! Happy Birthday once again and much love! xoxo.

No comments: