Monday, February 23, 2009

Berry-good scones!

*ahem ahem ahem*

It is with great pleasure (and a little apprehension) that I introduce my first ever batch of scones!


Kyle was telling me how great his newly purchased jar of French raspberry jam is and how great it'd be if we had some scones and clotted cream to go with it.

Since I have the ingredients for scone-making on hand it it is, I volunteered to bake some scones and he agreed to get the clotted cream.

Since this is my virgin experience with scones, I figured I ought to try something fancy.... So instead of your regular raisin scones, I decided to try baking some berry scones! And a good thing too! Coz Kyle doesn't like raisins! (Phew!)

Additionally, seeing as how much of a health freak I am (and the fact that I love to alter recipes and my seeming inability to follow recipes to the "T"), I swapped half of the plain flour for wholemeal flour.... And added less sugar and less salt.... And swapped buttermilk for skimmed milk.

Healthy berry scones. Mmmm.........

Our target was to have scones for breakfast this morning. Thus to ensure that we didn't have to wait for the scones to bake, I started baking them last night!

Now off we go!

The dry & wet ingredients....

The batter.


The frozen berries dusted with flour...

The berries rolled in flour - to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the batter during baking.

The berries folded into the batter... Mmmmmm

Dollops of batter onto baking tray.... And whisked off into the hot oven for baking!!!

The first batch of scones.... Mammoth berry scones.

Yeah, I overestimated the amount of batter and so these scones were HUGE! Think size of your fist huge! Hahahahha! But as you can tell from Kyle's thumbs-up, the scones smelt and looked temptingly scrumptious.

I altered the amount of batter I dished out on the baking tray, so the next few batches of scones reasonably normal in size. (Hahahaha)

Finally....

The resulting mountain of berry-good scones!!! Whee!

Well, we waited, went to bed and woke the next morning to THIS:-

Breakfast is served!

The scones were sooo delicious! It wasn't heavy but rather light and fluffy... Like a muffin....

See? All juicy with berry-goodness and you can tell that the dough isn't as dense as that of a normal scone.

Okay, I think this is probably an error on my part - I think added just a tad too much baking powder; hence the unusual fluffiness....

Nevertheless, they were still undeniably delicious.

The berries were a nice change from the usual raisins you find in normal fruit scones - they addded a tinge of sourness to the scone and was a refresing change. They were also the perfect complement with Kyle's seedy raspberry jam (which was SUPERB).

All in all, I thought the berry scones were delicious! And breakfast has never tasted more satisfying than today's.

The best part? ----> There's still half of batch left!

Guess what I'll be having for breakfast/tea for the next few days! XD

No comments: